So now that SBS 2008 is installed, we move on to installing SQL 2005. Note that a version of SQL 2005 is already installed for a SBSMonitoring, so you are actually installing a DEFAULT server instance.
Before you do the install, however, you need to make a registry change per this link:
Installing SQL Server 2005
If you plan to install SQL Server 2005 on the original server running Windows SBS 2008, do the following before you run the installation.
- Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, and then click Run.
- Type regedit, and then click OK.
- At the User Account Control prompt, click OK.
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Machines.
- Double-click OriginalMachineName, and then change the OriginalMachineName value name to the current server name.
- Click OK.
On the Instance Name page of the original server, do not select SBSMonitoring or Microsoft##SSEE as the instance name because the setup will not upgrade existing instances, which could result in Windows SBS 2008 functionality issues.
Also, you need to keep in mind that if this is a Domain Server machine, you cannot use the local system account for SQL Server, you need to use another account.
Lucky for me, these “hints” helped. However, I wasn’t able to install the client tools during the original install.
I tried installing the client tools on my machine – a CLIENT, and I was also unable to install. It turns out that this has to do with the fact that I had VS 2008 installed on my machine, which also had installed SQL 2005. There is a method for handling this:
First go to Add/Remove Programs in Windows XP or Uninstall a program in Vista and select to uninstal SQL Server 2005. It will start the uninstall process but will let you choose what you want to uninstall. So select only workstation components. Uninstall them and then reinstall them from whereever you want. I had the same problem running SQL Server Management Studio Express and wanted to install the fully functional SQL Server Management Studio from SQL DVD and it was blocked. Removed everything from SQL Native client to workstation components, leaving only SQL Server 2005 database on the computer because I had online databases there. Install went on without a problem.
via this link: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlsetupandupgrade/thread/117454be-67c5-4458-8429-08eccd6f82f6
This worked on the client workstation – I’ll try it on the server next.