I hate that message! I have a batch file set to run via a timer and every day it stops because it wants to verify the publisher.
Here is a way to disable the message:
1. Click Start–>Run and type gpedit.msc. Click OK
2. Go to User Configuration–>Administrative Templates–>Windows Components–>Attachment Manager
3. Add “*.exe” to the “Inclusion list for moderate risk file types” setting. You can also add other file types.
This should disable the “Publisher Could Not Be Verified” messages from appearing for that file type in the future.
(Note, this is the second method I’ve used for this and I’m waiting to see how well it works. I used a different method yesterday via IE to trust the directory where the batch file is located and it made absolutely no difference at all)
Contrary to popular belief, I don’t jump on all of the latest technology. If I hear about a new site, I may run out and grab a free account just so I can claim my name for the future, but I don’t always start using the product. A good example are a few of the Blackberry apps for keeping track of to-do lists, yeah, sorry – I still like a notepad for that.
However, I just started using a product called Dropbox which I love. You can get a free account that allows you up to 2 gigs of space. Dropbox installs on your computer and makes a set of folders under your My Documents area. Anything you put into that set of folders gets copied to your internet Dropbox account. This means you can access it anywhere, but that’s not all! If you install it on another computer it syncs the files to the directories on that computer as well.
Basically, you drop a file into it at one computer and by the time you get to your other computer, the file is there waiting for you. I’ve been using it to get all of my photos and downloads in one place. Afterall, there isn’t a real point in downloading the same utility on every computer when you can download it just once and have it waiting for you on all of your systems.
Give it a try – it’s free! They also offer 50 and 100 gig paid plans as well.
My Favorite batch file for Windows XP ever only contains one line:
net stop wuauserv
When do you use it? You use it when you are in the middle of trying to meet a deadline and every 5 minutes, the Microsoft Updater jumps up and says “You need to reboot your machine to complete your updates.”
These three words can take away as much stress as your manager calling to say that the meeting has been canceled and you should go home early to enjoy the rest of your day.
Now, I’m not suggesting you completely ignore updates, just ignore them when they are bugging the heck out of you.
Lifehacker posted a quick article today about moving your Firefox cache to a ramdisk to speed up your browsing. I read it a few times and then took the plunge.
I’m impressed. I had to download a free RAMdisk program for XP. I chose RAMdisk by DataRam. Setup was easy but my machine locked up right after the install. After a reboot, though, all was well. Once installed, I configured it for a modest 50 megs of space (if you have the ram, you can do more).
Next I had to figure out how to get Firefox to use it. I found this article which covered how to configure Firefox and I was off and running.
Facebook runs a lot faster. I used to use ram disks all the time in the early days of DOS, but I don’t use them all that much anymore. It’s a shame, really, because they really do make a massive improvement in cache type operations.
Try this change out, and I think you’ll be pleased with the results.
I’ve been fighting this problem for awhile where I would right-click on a file and it would take almost a minute to get a menu. Sometimes, the system would just lock up.
I went through a lot of Google searches over time and today I finally found the culprit thanks to this article:
and a tool called
The best piece of advice on troubleshooting this type of behavior is to open your network settings and disable your network card. I’m assuming most people are 100% online these days so the comment “When your network is enabled” didn’t originally catch my eye. However, when I disabled my network connection, my right click worked fantastic.
Bingo! The error is something to do with the network. I used RegScanner to find any registry setting that was pointing to some obscure UNC path on the network and I actually found 3 references to a server that no longer exists on my network.
I removed those entries and the problem immediately went away.
Before you go removing certificates and dropping shell extensions (both were other ideas – and completely valid for some people), try turning off your network and running a quick test.
It worked for me.