This could be caused by Windows Search from the upgrade –
- Open services and turn off Windows Search
- Go to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows
- Delete Windows.edb
- Turn Windows Search back on
This will let windows rebuild the search database
I’ve been fighting this problem for awhile where I would right-click on a file and it would take almost a minute to get a menu. Sometimes, the system would just lock up.
I went through a lot of Google searches over time and today I finally found the culprit thanks to this article:
and a tool called
The best piece of advice on troubleshooting this type of behavior is to open your network settings and disable your network card. I’m assuming most people are 100% online these days so the comment “When your network is enabled” didn’t originally catch my eye. However, when I disabled my network connection, my right click worked fantastic.
Bingo! The error is something to do with the network. I used RegScanner to find any registry setting that was pointing to some obscure UNC path on the network and I actually found 3 references to a server that no longer exists on my network.
I removed those entries and the problem immediately went away.
Before you go removing certificates and dropping shell extensions (both were other ideas – and completely valid for some people), try turning off your network and running a quick test.
It worked for me.